Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo has announced the immediate suspension of the Commander of the State Security Corps, Friday Ibadin (rtd) and all illegal Vigilante Groups.
TheHintsNews reports that 16 travellers said to be hunters, were on their way to Kano from Port Harcourt for the Sallah celebration when a mob intercepted and lynched them on suspicion that they were kidnappers
Local vigilantes had stopped the vehicle the victims were travelling in and in the course of search, found Dane guns used by the hunters, a development that reportedly led to the gathering of a mob who concluded the travellers were kidnappers and burned them alive.
However, the governor in a statement issued on Sunday by the Secretary to the State Government, Umar Ikhilor said 14 persons have been arrested so far, while there is an intense manhunt for others involved in the gruesome killing by a special team set up by the Inspector General of Police.
He said: “It is hereby announced for the information of the general public that after a review of the preliminary report of the unfortunate incident of Thursday 27th March, 2025 at Uromi in Esan North East Local Government Area of Edo State involving the gruesome killing of some travelers, the Governor of Edo State, Senator Monday Okpebholo has ordered the immediate suspension of all illegal Vigilante Groups operating under whatever guise in the State. Also suspended is the Commander of the Edo State Security Corps, CP. Friday Ibadin (rtd.).
“It is to be reiterated that the local vigilante group involved in the gruesome killing of 27th March was operating illegally as it was never profiled or registered with Edo State Security Corps.
“Its actions do not reflect the core values, character and principles of the Okpebholo administration, or the objectives of the corps as enshrined in the Edo State Security Corps Governance Law.”
The State government reiterated its belief in the constitutionally guaranteed rights of citizens to move freely or engage in lawful business in any part of the country.
It noted that the state government was in touch with families of the victims, community leaders and the Government of Kano State where most of the deceased are reported to hail from.