The military has confirmed the killings of key commanders of wanted bandits leader, Bello Turji in the ongoing offensive in the North-west.
Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj-Gen. Edward Buba said the operation was carried out between January 20 and 21, targeting terrorist hideouts across Sokoto and Zamfara states.
He noted that the troops neutralised Turji’s second-in-command, Aminu Kanawa, along with several key commanders and close allies in an ongoing military operation codenamed Operation Fansan Yamma.
Bubba noted: “Troops successfully neutralized Aminu Kanawa, the second-in-command to Bello Turji, and inflicted terminal injuries on Dosso (Bello Turji’s younger brother) and Danbokolo, one of Turji’s closest allies.
“Additionally, several commanders, including Abu Dan Shehu, Jabbi Dogo, Dan Kane, Basiru Yellow, Kabiru Gebe, Bello Buba, and Dan Inna Kahon-Saniya-Yafi-Bahaushe, were neutralised.
“The operation also resulted in the elimination of over 24 fleeing terrorists from Turji’s camp in the Gebe and Isa Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Sokoto State, as well as the Gidan Rijiya area in Shinkafi LGA, Zamfara State.”
Bubba added that in a separate encounter around the Fakai high ground, troops neutralised Suleiman, a loyalist of the late terrorist leader Halilu Sububu.
He explained that Suleiman, who was leading a reinforcement team to rescue Turji’s camp, was killed during a firefight.
Buba described the neutralisation of Turji’s second-in-command, his close allies, and several key commanders as a significant setback to the terrorist network.
He said the group had been responsible for numerous kidnappings and attacks across the Northwest, particularly in Zurmi, Shinkafi, Isa, and Sabon Birni LGAs of Zamfara and Sokoto states.